Sunday, February 1, 2009

Trail Tales: Seven Summits, BC

Share
I'll admit it. I'm going a little stir crazy. I haven't been on my mountain bike since mid-December's trip to Guatemala, and 6 weeks out of the saddle is always hard on me. So I'm already dreaming about the summer, and heading back to BC to ride one of my favourite trails, the incredible Seven Summits. I'm definitely not the only one to rate this a personal favourite - Bike magazine rated Seven Summits their trail of the year back in 2007.

I've ridden Seven Summits about a half a dozen times, on our Ultimate BC trip, and each time it inflicts new levels of suffering and ecstasy on me. It's an all-day epic, and you need to bring lots of water and lots of food. I've heard of people doing it in as little as 3 hours, but most people take 6-8 to do the entire trail.

The trail gets its name from the 7 peaks you ride either on top of or just underneath, traversing a number of ridges, saddles and summits over its course. For the most part you stay underneath the actual summits, but each of the 7 has a side trail leading up to its peak.

The ride is not for the faint of heart - or lungs. There are several punishing climbs, and only the strongest climbers will be able to tackle them all without walking. I've never managed to clean it myself, but I have watched in awe as über-guide Eddy spanked off one climb after another. The downhills are fun, fast and furious, with lots of technical sections to keep you on your toes.

The views of Rossland and the mountains of the southern Monashees are spectacular at every turn, and there are some spots that are just so picture-perfect you have to remember to breathe.

The best part? Ending off with 2,000 vertical feet of downhill on the Dewdney Trail, and having a cold one when you get back to the van. Unless, that is, you're one of the brave souls who ride the whole thing without benefit of shuttle vehicles - my everlasting respect to you.

Mike

Seven Summits is just one of dozens of trails we ride on our 13-day Ultimate BC trip. There are still spots available for this summer - check our schedule page and sign up today!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike
your not the only one going stir crazy, its been either too cold or too warm for skiing and the roads are still way to icy for riding. Two people I know have done some serious damage to their knees from falls in the last few days (one trying to go for a run).

Either way, I know how you feel. Lisa and I are doing the Seven Summits this summer (first week or so of July). It'll be about 2 weeks before the 24 hour solo ride and Lisa figures we should do the whole thing without shuttle. Something about wanting your respect.
Wilco

Anonymous said...

Best.Ride.Ever! Tough going on a hardtail - I'll be back on a squishy for the next time!

Sacred Rides MTB Adventures said...

I hear you Wilco... Have a great time on Seven Summits this summer. Maybe I'll run into you there!

Mike

Moelstrom said...

Great video, Mike - seeing Eddie crank it up Cox Hill made me start dreaming about next year. Not about Eddie, I mean. The riding.
Ben