Monday, March 10, 2008

La Ruta de Maya - Guatemala pt 5

Share
Just a quick post today, since I'm about to hit the sack. Here are a couple of photos from an incredible place in central Guatemala called Semuc Champey. It's as close as I've come to paradise: emerald-green pools cascading down through the jungle, lush vines and vegetation all around, waterfalls everywhere...

We spent the morning in an incredible cave, straight out of The Goonies (best movie of my childhood). Our guide gave us a candle, then we stepped into the mouth of the cave, into a foot of water. Pretty soon, the water is up to your waist and you come to a ladder. The ladder takes you to another chamber, then you scramble down to another chamber, also full of water. Soon the water is up to your neck and you have to swim, while holding the candle, to the other side of the chamber. This continues - ladders, chambers, swimming - for about half a kilometre, until you can go no more (at least not without the right gear). It was one of the most amazing things I've done, and I wish I had pictures.

Next, we went tubing down the river, then ended with a hike to an incredible view over Semuc Champey. Finally we hiked down to the pools, which are the most amazing colour of green I've ever seen. We ended the day by rappeling down behind a waterfall.

I've been to a lot of amazing places, but Semuc Champey takes the cake. I'll be back - hope you can join me.

Mike

No comments: