- Pay It Forward – Tubes, quick-links, a helping hand. You’ll need it one day too.
- You brought it out…you bring it home – No one likes a litterbug. Keep the trail clean.
- Know your role – Fast climber? Get up front. Slow descender? Get in the back.
- Bike worth does not equal biking ability – Everyone loves the latest and greatest…but it doesn’t increase skill.
- Be Self Sufficient – Always bring what you need…and sometimes more.
- Know Basic Bike Maintenance – Be able to fix your own flat…
- Treat Other Riders Like You Would Want To Be Treated – No one likes a jackass.
- It’s Only A Race If The Other Participants Know They Are Participating – You didn’t beat your friend on the climb if you are the only one that knew it was a race.
- If A Rider Catches You…It Doesn’t Mean They Want You To Ride Faster – Move to the side and let the rider by. Also see #3.
- Music While Riding Is Great…Unless You Are Oblivious – If you are going to wear earphones while riding, check around you constantly for other riders.
- Know Your Abilities – Don’t get too far over your head.
- Just Because You Can’t Ride It…Doesn’t Mean Others Can’t – Mountain biking should be a progression. Not all trails can be wide and groomed.
- You Have Zero Room To Bitch If You Didn’t Work On The Trail – Try not to be a backseat driver to trail work.
- There Is No Cure For UGI – Upgradeitius is a serious disease for which there is no cure.
- Beware Of Rider Recommendations – The best bike for a friend may not be the best bike for you. Everyone thinks they are on the best mountain bike on the market.
- Don’t Be “That Guy” – You know the one…the guy that brags about his time on local loops and doesn’t ride anywhere else. Enjoy your ride…it isn’t a contest.
- In Shape Does Not Equal Technical Ability – You are in shape…awesome…but that does not make you a better rider. It just makes you able to ride longer.
- Riding Keeps You Young – Yes…that guy that is twice your age will still drop you.
- No One Looks Good In Lycra…Especially Mountain Bikers – Bring a change of clothes…lycra is not “going out” wear.
- Mexican Food Is The Perfect After Ride Meal – Don’t know why…it just is.
- Diversity Is A Good Thing – Different bikes, different styles, different personalities. It would be dreadfully boring if we were all the same.
- Any Holiday Is An Excuse To Ride – Why are we riding today? Because today ends in a y.
- Support Those That Support You – Support your local IMBA and local advocacy chapters. They do more than just work on trails.
- Online Superstars Type More Than Ride – Time worrying about online arguments is time you could spend on the bike.
- Riding Is The Best Therapy – Self explanatory…
Monday, May 30, 2011
The Commandments of Mountain Biking
From our friends over at bike198.com, a list of the Top 25 Mountain Biking 'Commandments.' Do you have your own rules of the trail? Post them in the comments below!