Monday, April 5, 2010

What's a 'Sacred' Ride?

Share
We get asked this question a lot. People wonder what’s up with the ‘sacred’ in our name.

Are we riding with Jesus? Well, no, although if that’s your thing then go for it.

Do we practice odd rituals? Well, yes… if you count greasing our chains before every ride, and having a beer after.

Are we trying to convert people to our religion? Well, yes again... but not ‘religion’ like you’re used to thinking about it. It’s the religion of mountain biking and it means something different to everyone.

For us, the ‘sacred ride’ is the evolution of mountain biking and mountain bike tourism: it’s mountain biking that makes a difference in the world - not just in our customers minds’ and hearts, but also in the communities where we ride.

· A sacred ride makes you feel at one with the universe – that indescribable feeling you get when you’re riding a trail that’s so perfect you forget about everything else and are completely lost in flow.

· A sacred ride exposes you to the spectacular beauty of our planet.

· A sacred ride connects you with your fellow riders through amazing experiences and shared challenges.

· A sacred ride opens your eyes to new people, new places, new cultures and new ways of life.

· A sacred ride makes tangible, direct contributions to the communities where we ride. Through our donations and our Riders’ support, we’re building schools, creating jobs, saving wilderness and making positive change in the world – through mountain biking.

· A sacred ride leaves you forever changed for the better and with memories that will stay with you your whole life.


We recently posted a question on our Facebook Page, just five words: “Why do you mountain bike? The answers were incredible, totally in line with our vision and why we mountain bike.

Here’s a sampling of responses, each and every one of them sacred in their own way:

“It clears and focuses the mind - when you are riding a technical trail you have no choice but to focus entirely on the trail ahead of you constantly thinking about lines, how to attack the coming hill and how to position yourself for the coming downhill. It works the body - It is an ever changing exercise from killer climbs that burn the legs to long flat stretches with are constant work on upper and lower body. It is just straight fun!!!”

“I love to mountain bike to feel strong, challenged and aware. I concentrate on my breathing, when I'm climbing. I say a mantra up and up and up the mountains. Its helps me clear all the insignificant worries of my mind. It helps me find my heart and its path again.

“I love the feeling of just being out around fresh air. All the trees, sun, wind, animals. You see so much of life that people miss. Its the feeling of something accomplished, everything gets rewarded. You mind, spirit, body. Its the feel good wind on a hot day when you are going down a hill you just went up. The feeling of your calves burning on your way up it. Its just so powering, so fulfilling! :)”

“It gives me freedom and takes me places I would not be able to access by driving or walking. Love it.”

“To be close to nature. To explore. To overcome fears. And because it's not just sweating for nothing. You sweat on the way up and you get the reward of the adrenaline on the way down!”

“I do it because I'm an overweight 70-year-old who wants to see his great-grandchildren grow up and the exercise is good for me.”

“Apparently to satisfy my need to do harm to my body. I am proud of every cut, scrape and injury though. ;)”

“It’s an awesome stress reliever for me, I get to get away & forget about everything for a few hours a week.”

“Because it’s spiritual. When you're on the trail away from the concrete, you know what's really important in life. And it can't be described in any sort of power point or spreadsheet.”

“Therapeutic big time! I tell my friends it was an instant 'love affair.' It's also a sense of accomplishment... empowering. I was scared to death to even try it, but it actually took for me to have a really bad day to just go for it -- and that day I nailed the trail for the first time, putting my fear aside. By the time I finished, fear was replaced by - I CAN DO IT!!!!”

“Because its what I do and its a reflection of life and love, sometimes smooth riding sometimes rocky, it can make you feel pleasure or it can break your heart...”

“Becuz its just me and the bike, and nothing else, my world, no bike, no life.......”

“It makes me feel like a kid again...wonderful to get wet, dirty & mucky. I feel complete when on my bike.”

How do you find the sacred in your mountain biking?

2 comments:

Mark and Patty of Crystal Pyramid Productions in San Diego said...

Mountain biking by its very nature, and the fact that it is done IN nature, is sacred. With the power of your own body on a contraption with two wheels, you can go deep into the arms of Mother Nature and just revel in it. I am not the kind of rider who takes a timer and dashes from Point A to Point B. I am the kind of rider who enjoys all the sights, scents and sounds of each and every mountain bike ride. I live for it. Whereas people go to church on Sunday, I mount up on my "steed" and visit "God" in person - by mountain bike.

Sacred Rides MTB Adventures said...

Beautifully put, Patty!