Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Sacred Rides and Women's Mountain Biking

Share
We hosted writer Bobbi Barbarich on one of our women's mountain bike skills camps in Fernie last summer. I was anxious to hear her take on the camps, since I've never actually participated in one, just sat on the sidelines and helped out. Here's her write up...

Where my ladies at?
by Bobbi Barbarich, Vue Weekly

A ramp, a teeter-totter and a wooden sidewalk sit amidst 23 women wearing baggy bike shorts and determined stares. We range in occupation from geology students to lawyers, but our bikes were all made for mountains.

Under the shadow of the Ridgemont trails above Fernie, each woman cautiously inspects the other at the Sacred Rides Mountain Bike Adventure women's skills camp. The subtle inspection is not unusual or malicious. In the sport forum, females like to figure out the level of competition immediately. Then we can relax.

Our eyes slow their shifting and settle on Danika Schroeter and Johanna Weintrager. Danika is tall, blonde and lithe. Johanna is a pixie with muscles. Both riders have competed in downhill racing. Weintrager is a nationally respected coach and Schroeter is a national downhill champion. They're chatting casually about their passions—namely, the two tires under their fit frames.

Despite their welcoming natures, I'm skeptical. Within moments of their introductions, we're on our bikes, circling the parking lot like vultures over a carcass. I'm circling my confidence. Schroeter and Weintrager mean to cajole me into attempting what I thought I would never do: careen down a mountain on a bike.

[read the full article]

No comments: